Gracing the event, Education Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen remarked that "it was perhaps the only school back then that provided a bilingual education. This proved a valuable asset to students who could benefit from the growth of the region while retaining a sense of rooted-ness to their community."
Established in 1885, the school's founder Mr Gan Eng Seng, wanted to give less well-off children the chance to get a good education.
Recognising the importance of the English language, he added it as another language of instruction to the Chinese students in the school. - CNA /ls